Dong Thap has far more than Thap Muoi lotus fields, Sa Dec flower village and golden fields. A biodiversity preserve called Tram Chim National Park promises explorers the most meaningful experience in Dong Thap.
1. Where is Tram Chim National Park?
Located about 35km away from Cao Lanh City – the heart of Dong Thap province, Tram Chim forest stretches over seven communes; namely, Tan Cong Sinh, Phu Duc, Phu Tho, Phu Thanh A, Phu Thanh B, Phu Hiep in Tam Nong District, Dong Thap. It is now the home of Sarus crane as well as an extremely rare species in the Red Book.
2. Spices of plants and animals in Tram Chim forest
The flora system of Tram Chim National Park includes 130 types of vegetation such as lotus, grassland, Melaleuca forest, and moldy swamp.
In Tram Chim, the fauna system which accounts for a quarter of birds in Vietnam is worth your attention with the existence of over 230 bird races of 49 families. Some rare species that can be found such as great cormorants, white-winged duck, gray-foot pelican, black-packed piping plover and the red-head crane.
The existence of all organism in the system plays a certain role in balancing ecosystems in Tram Chim National Park. For example, fish communities provides food sources for the birds. They include a few Vietnam Red Book species such as clown featherback, hampala barb, and small-scale mud carp.
3. What to do in Tram Chim National Park
Sightseeing by boat
Many magnificent sights of Tram Chim National Park wait for travelers to to cross through the zig-zag system of canals. Canoes with or without a tour guide will be available for the tourists. This activity is highly recommended by the park.
Taking part in Mekong life
Have you ever tried the very activities which clearly reflect the daily life of Westside farmers in Tram Chim National Park? Catching eels, going fishing, harvesting wild rice, and hunting vole – the land’s specialty – would bring the Mekong features to your trip.
Unless you try grilled fish, peppered snails, fermented fish hotpot, lemongrass eel in your trip to Tram Chim forest, it would definitely a miss.
4. Best time to visit Tram Chim melaleuca forest
There are two seasons in the forest; namely, the water-rising season (between September and December) and the dry season (from January to June). The best time to visit this place is the former where the tourists mainly use boats to discover the place. In this season, the greenery-and- blooming flowers-coated landscape is revealing during the trips.
But if you visit this place in the dry season, it is still fine when you can watch many birds, especially Sarus cranes migrating to hunt for new homes. It also fit with those who are doing research about birds.
5. How to get to Tram Chim National Park
You can take public buses to Cao Lanh city and continue sitting on Thanh Binh route to reach this place. The bus leaves at 5 am every morning. Or else, you can book a tour from any tourist agencies.
6. Travel tips
- Do not forget to bring anti mosquitoes and insect spray.
- The prices for each of the activities and services are distinguished.
- Tickets for boats must be bought early in peak season to avoid a shortage.
- 5 A.M is said to be a the perfect time for watching breaking dawn. Totally worth your effort.
- Wear something that is close to the nature in terms of color, e.g. green.
- A pair of flip-flops is better than trainers in case you move through sticky and muddy paths.
- Please, protect the environment.